Category Archives: Essays

Essays and Musings

The Story Behind Monsters of the Earth

Written for Upcoming4.Me [online magazine] Posted 30 October 2013. The Books of the Elements combine Roman culture with regional myths, but I don’t mean regional religions. I’m building on African backgrounds and folktales in Monsters of the Earth, but there … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Monsters of the Earth | Comments Off on The Story Behind Monsters of the Earth

A Hard Look Back

Written for Bull Spec: a magazine of speculative fiction, September 2012 ON A PANEL AT The Escapist Expo in September [2012], my friend Mark asked for a show of hands from people who hadn’t been born in 1966 when I … Continue reading

Posted in Essays | Tagged , , | Comments Off on A Hard Look Back

Voyage Across the Stars

“Two incandescent novels of journey and battle across the stars set in David Drake’s best-selling Hammer’s Slammers universe together for the first time in one mega-volume.”  –Amazon Book Description. Baen’s combined volume due out January 3 2012 reprints Cross the Stars … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Hammer's Slammers | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Voyage Across the Stars

Another Method of Plotting

Written for the Tor/Forge July 2011 Newsletter Last year when Tor asked me for an essay to accompany the publication of The Legions of Fire, the first of my Books of the Elements fantasy series, I explained that riding a … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Out of the Waters | Tagged , , | Comments Off on Another Method of Plotting

Essays

Essays and Miscellaneous Writings updated March 2015 “Accidentally and By the Back Door” The New York Review of Science Fiction, 2004. 17:3(195): p. 17-18. ——— The Complete Hammer’s Slammers v.1. 2006, San Francisco CA: Night Shade Books. ——— The Complete … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, More Books | Tagged , | Comments Off on Essays

The Motorcycle Way to Complex Plotting

Written for the Tor/Forge May 2010 Newsletter THE MOTORCYCLE WAY TO COMPLEX PLOTTING Writers use various tools in their work. One of my tools is my motorcycle. Well, plural: my motorcycles. Bikers learn quickly that if they expect to … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, The Legions of Fire | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on The Motorcycle Way to Complex Plotting

A Belated Thank-You

Dave’s Introduction to a volume of August Derleth short stories titled That is Not Dead: Black Magic and Occult Stories, volume 3 of 4 being produced by The August Derleth Society in conjunction with Arkham House Publishers, February 2009. A … Continue reading

Posted in Essays | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on A Belated Thank-You

The Forgotten Planet

Written August 2009 for posting at SF Signal’s web page MIND MELD: Books That Hold Special Places in Our Hearts and On Our Shelves THE FORGOTTEN PLANET When I was 13 in 1958, I was enrolled in the Teen-Age Bookclub … Continue reading

Posted in Essays | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on The Forgotten Planet

Cross the Stars

AFTERWORD: WHERE I GET MY IDEAS If you decide to write about far-famed Achilles, make him active, hot-tempered, inexorable, and fierce; let him deny that laws were made for him, let him think his sword rules all. –Horace, The Art … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Hammer's Slammers | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Cross the Stars

Vietnam

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed Shall … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Vietnam | Tagged , , , , | Comments Off on Vietnam

Five Firebases

Dave’s original introduction to the Hammer’s Slammers Role-Playing game rules for Mongoose. The version as printed drops the title and was edited for length. FIVE FIREBASES I was very pleased when I got the materials for the Hammer’s Slammers role-playing … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, Hammer's Slammers | Tagged , , , | Comments Off on Five Firebases

Grimmer Than Hell

COMING HOME BY THE LONG WAY A few years ago I collected my humorous stories in All the Way to the Gallows.” In my introduction I admitted that I wasn’t best known for writing humor. This is what I’m best … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, More Books | Tagged , , , , , , , | Comments Off on Grimmer Than Hell

Trip to England, April 2004 – Travel Narrative

Dave’s Trip to England April 2004 Accompanies Photos of England and Photos of Salute War Gaming April 18: We left for RDU Airport at 3 PM for a 6 PM flight. Better safe than sorry, and I was nervously reading … Continue reading

Posted in Essays | Tagged , , , , , | Comments Off on Trip to England, April 2004 – Travel Narrative

The Reaches: Igniting the Reaches, Through the Breach & Fireships

INTRODUCTION: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY I’m a very organized writer–insanely organized, one might say, and we’ll get back to that in a moment. I take extensive notes before I start plotting, and I do very detailed plots (usually in … Continue reading

Posted in Essays, More Books | Tagged , , , , , , | Comments Off on The Reaches: Igniting the Reaches, Through the Breach & Fireships